Early Feburary at Home

The garden is relatively sheltered so over the last few days I,ve been bringing in compost and topping up the beds.I may have to lay down some stepping stones as Ive a track worn across the grass.

Image

 

Image

I,m very much trying to build up the soil fertility by adding organic matter.

Image

This bed had parsnips which I finished lifting today. I topped up the bed with compost and will cover with cardboard from the local bike shop.Work great provided its weighted down a little.

Image

I moved the strawberry runners to pots and composted the older plants ( greater than 3 years) that were woody.Topped up this green house with about two barrow loads.

Image

The L-shaped overwintering garlic and onion bed got a topping up.

Image

The dwarf kale got a top up. Below a lemon balm recently planted near the rosemary. I will be dedicating one of the timber raised beds to herb growing this year.

Image

French Lavender which was sown last year. It’s taken many months to get this far and needs pricking out soon when the first true leaves are formed. I started the tray inside a sealed clear plastic bag.

Image

Some bulbs ( tulips I think) starting to emerge. Must Label and mark position next time.

Image

I,ve been layering cardboard within the duck enclosure to see how it would fair as a ground covering. This has since been abandoned as it prevents drainage even when pierced. I am trying a mixture of wood shavings and straw to try and keep the ground a little dryer for the ducks. I may try covering a portion of the dome to reduce rainfall inside.

Image

The compost is located within the drip line of a Monteray Cypress or Macrocarpa. I recently started covering with heavy black plastic to reduce the moisture. Normally this is a reasonably dry area. 

Image

The polytunnel got a careful topping up with compost. I have had a bit of damage caused by mice and have tried humane traps, traps and now poison. I did catch a mouse using a trap baited with honey.   

Image

This is the worst of the damage and I am reluctant to repair as ,this may encourage more openings. I have positioned traps and bait nearby. I may use repair tape to tidy up the edges to prevent further widening but if this is where they want to enter then its pointless covering untill the the risk has been minimised. I believe they may be moving through the 4 inch gap between the raised bed and outer baserail. If the problem persists I may have to come up with a way of eliminating the gap. I do not store parsnips ( just drying) in here, only onions.

Image

The Brussell sprouts are coming along,

Image

I,ve been stopping the peas again.

Image

Chitting a few seed potatoes

Image

Image

and saved Sarpo

Image

Looking forward to trying oca this year.

Image

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s